- Founded in 1985, the Company has a long tradition of advising clients on financial matters and is now North Devon’s leading independent wealth manager.
- Our commitment to looking after clients in a totally professional but compassionate way as well as delivering peace of mind to them is the main reason we have expanded our services over the years. Clients can enjoy the convenience of having many of their affairs managed under our roof, as well as confidence and trust that the experienced staff undertaking their work really do care about them.
- We are incredibly proud of the work we undertake and the relationships we have formed with such a range of our clients and their families, many of whom are now friends. Our guidance can commence ‘before the cradle and beyond the grave’ and may span generations by way of family Trusts. Indeed, children and grandchildren often become clients themselves as they recognise what we have done for their family members and the caring and compassionate relationships we have built which transcend simple ‘transactions’ and which are just not available elsewhere. As a firm, we guarantee that we shall continue to advise clients to best meet their requirements.
- The Company employs staff in different departments, ranging from Financial & Investment Advice, Taxation & Accountancy, Probate & Executorship, Administration and Wills & Trusts.
- The Company moved into a centrally located, sympathetically restored Grade 2 listed building in 2016 in its home market town of Barnstaple, North Devon where staff enjoy lovely spacious offices as well as areas for all-important breaks and down time. The facilities are amongst the most modern and advanced available and the layout works especially well for the team and clients alike. It enjoys one of the most desirable locations in the Country with its renowned local golden sand beaches and with Exmoor and Dartmoor National Parks on the doorstep, ideal for thrill seekers, walkers or the more sedate alike. This can offer a perfect work-life balance, between a challenging and progressive career and a fabulous location with amazing surroundings. There are also good transport links to cities, including Exeter and Bristol as well as trains to London, Birmingham and Manchester. It really is the best of all worlds!
During many decades of success, the Company has always known that its staff is its most important asset and treats them as such. We are proud to say that we employ staff from all backgrounds and sections of the community, encouraging each of them to forge a career (not just a job) and fulfill their potential through a diverse, interesting, challenging and ultimately rewarding employment opportunity. We focus in particular on recruiting and retaining quality individuals who will work seamlessly as part of our existing team, are looking to develop new skills, are conscientious with a strong work ethic and are determined to build upon the success of the Firm to date. With hard work and a positive attitude, progression within the firm is assured.
We consider that we have cemented a culture which encourages, helps and financially supports staff to become the very best they can be in every possible way. Many of our staff have been employed by the Company for long periods, which delights us. Indeed, of the Company’s existing Directors (two of whom actually joined the Firm in reception positions before progressing), each has been employed by the Firm for more than twelve years.
We also have one of the most highly qualified and experienced teams of advisers in the industry. This has helped the firm achieve the lofty status of Chartered Financial Planners, an exclusive title awarded only to firms which meet demanding criteria relating to professionalism and capability. All Chartered Financial Planners commit to the Chartered Insurance Institute’s Code of Ethics, reinforcing the highest standards of professional practice in business dealings.
- Competitive salary (unusually without the pressure of sales’ targets found elsewhere featuring “On Target Earnings (OTE)”),
- Discretionary bonus awards connected to longevity of service and the Firm’s progress overall,
- Generous pension scheme,
- Salary sacrifice options (allowing employee Tax and National Insurance savings),
- Full financial sponsorship for relevant staff studying industry qualifications, including funding professional memberships,
- Time off work for examination sittings,
- Targeted personal development programmes (to develop new skills and progress your career),
- Flexible working,
- Company sponsored events for staff,
- Progression pathway (as evidenced by the existing Directors!),
- Desirable work-life balance.
We hope you agree that this is an attractive range of benefits and we shall look forward to discussing them with you in detail!
Supporting Good Causes
- Since establishment, the Company’s senior management has been a passionate believer and supporter of worthy Charities, both at home and abroad.
- The Company is proud to have created its own Fund within the Devon Community Foundation (DCF) which allows it to consider applications from groups and organisations wishing to raise money to improve the lives and conditions within the local community.
- More recently, the Company completed the onerous registration process to create the Philip J Milton & Company Plc Charitable Foundation, our own charity acting both as a conduit for donations but also to gift additional funds to local good causes. We wish to build the Foundation’s engagement over the coming years with a seed endowment fund.
- Further afield, the Company supports Amigos Worldwide, a charity in Uganda which works alongside its African partners to eradicate poverty through education and training of disadvantaged people. Its vision is to see poor and marginalised people live with dignity, equality and freedom. We undertake student sponsorship at Kira Farm in Uganda, where young people can enrol in a one-year program focusing on three main areas: conservation farming, vocational training and holistic life skills.
- Staff involvement with fund-raising is also encouraged and we are delighted to have supported so many wonderful initiatives over the years. This continues to inspire and motivate staff to run marathons, hike the nation’s peaks, complete Tough Mudder events, wear Christmas jumpers and another to wear something pink, to name but a few! The wonderful efforts have raised many tens of thousands of pounds for amazing causes.
- The Company and its staff remain strongly committed to support groups and individuals less fortunate than themselves and consider this one of our responsibilities as a successful and socially conscious and compassionate Company.
“As you know it is my last day here today, so just want to say a massive thank you to everyone in the office. You are the best bunch of people that I have ever worked with and I have made some really great friends. I have enjoyed working here for the past four years and that is mainly due to all of you. I will miss you all and I hope to stay in touch. I wish you all the best for the future and thank you all for being the best staff ever!”
“Firstly can I please say thank you for allowing me to work in your company alongside some amazing people. I have really enjoyed my time here (even though it was a short time) but the tug of spending real quality time with my grandchildren (and helping to support them) became more and more difficult not to do.”
“I for one can say, I have never worked for a kinder, approachable and more generous natured boss! Ever!…..”
“Starting a new job can be an anxious time for me. Will I fit in, will I adapt my skills quickly enough and so on. I can honestly say that from my first day at PJM & Co, I was made very welcome and my hundreds of questions were all answered and repeated if necessary with good humour and warmth. I find the work fascinating and any suggestions that I have are listened to and taken on board. I can honestly say that I feel both valued and supported as an employee and enjoy coming to work.”
“P J Milton has been a great starting point for myself and have helped grow my financial knowledge and client side abilities. I would recommend it for those looking at financial services, you have the opportunity to learn about all aspects of the industry due to our wide range of services. It’s been a friendly workplace with an approachable management team who are happy to hear your own feedback regarding the business. They ensure you learn an area under supervision before increasing your variety of work.”
“The best thing about working for the company is the staff and management who are so supportive and have client care at the heart of everything they do.“
The Company currently seeks dynamic individuals to join the team in the following roles:
We are not actively recruiting at the moment. However, we should still be very happy to receive your CV for future consideration as for the right candidates, we may choose to create a suitable position.
If you think you would also be happy and fit within our hardworking team, please apply in writing with full CV and salary expectation to: Mrs Sandra Wonnacott, Philip J Milton & Company Plc, Choweree House, 21 Boutport Street, Barnstaple, Devon EX31 1RP or email: Sandra.email@example.com